Work to the dam continues and I arrived yesterday morning to speak to the site agent about various concerns and was faced with a rapidly emptying Anderson’s pool with at least one adult salmon swimming around in the mirky water. I call the office immediately and asked Gillian to bring the electrofishing gear so that we could remove this fish and any others that may be hidden to safety.
We discussed the entrance to the fish pass and I still have concerns about this, but I do understand why it had to be included in the piling at the moment. Once Gillian arrived, we set about removing the salmon and a load of juveniles from the pool. There was only one salmon in Anderson’s but two more were stranded in the middle pool and they too were removed to safety. I would have preferred a phone call requesting our assistance in advance of turning up to find the pool being pumped out and I did inform the site agent of this. Here is a link to the video clip we shot at Anderson’s. http://youtu.be/3NG6TSKC418
The head bailiff and I walked the depleted stretch looking for stranded fish but the herons appear to have cleaned up well over the last couple of weeks. We hardly saw any fish in this stretch.