We scaled our operation down today but still managed to net more wee trout. No rainbow or eels turned up in the nets, just lovely but small brownies. We started by emptying the fyke nets left overnight fully expecting to capture trout and eels but unfortunately it was just trout. We reset the fykes and then set about netting again but this time with the shallower net. Unfortunately the water levels had risen overnight by nearly 1m which made this net too short for the areas we were concentrating on but we did manage to catch a good number of trout but it could have been better.
By the end of netting this afternoon, I’d estimate that at least 1600 trout have been relocated, possibly quite a few more but we just didn’t have time to count them accurately. I expect when we go back as water levels are further reduced, we will again net quite a few more.
Finally we had to recover the boats and equipment from the reservoir and we had booked a JCB to help with this. There was no way that we could recover the boat manually so as a machine was on hand, we took full advantage and loaded both nets and all other equipment into the boats and let the machine pull everything to the top of the banks.
With the trailer loaded, we headed off to stock the last of the fish into the receiving water.
That’s not the end of job, we still have a serious amount of equipment to clean and disinfect before we head to Loch Doon sometime next week. That will be Friday morning’s job as we have funding applications to complete tomorrow.