The third week in July is the week we always commence timed electrofishing surveys across the 4 District Salmon Fishery Board controlled rivers. We do this as part of the work we deliver for the DSFBs annually and it’s a rapid assessment of spawning success as it is designed to be a fry survey. We do capture parr too but the results from these surveys are only analysed using the fry data.
We started last week on the Ayr but water levels were rising and we ended up leaving this river until water levels drop back after only managing to fish the 3 upper sites.
By the time we reached Glen Logan, I felt it was becoming unfishable and would have been unsafe to continue. We redirected back to the Stottencleugh where we managed to find some other work that needed doing. If you read our previous post, there’s a video link to a film we shot that day where we assessed hatchery stocking success in this burn.
From there we headed to the Doon on Friday and fished all but the upper two sites near Craigengillan. We have additional work to perform at these sites and decided to delay these until later in the month.
Today we started at the Girvan before heading to Turnberry to perform a fish rescue on the Milton Burn. We then headed back to the river to continue timed surveys working upstream as far as Mekland Bridge by end of play this evening.
We were encouraged by the results we’ve seen in the lower Doon and Girvan with improvement over recent years but it’s too early to say more as all the assessments have yet to be completed and analysed.Tomorrow we should manage to complete the Girvan and Doon sites and on Wednesday we will head for the Stinchar valley. Once these sites are completed we will head back to the Ayr and Lugar and finish off there.
Due to Covid 19, we are restricted in who we can take out this year and we’ve only just managed to return to a full staff compliment after being forced to furlough staff for some time. While we have many offers of assistance, it is an exceptional year and we can’t really take up those offers of help at the moment. I hope our readers will understand but once restrictions ease further perhpas we will be able to return to some sort of normality. We were able to accept help from my daughter who assisted with the Ayr and Doon surveys while she is back home from university. It’s good work experience for her and I’m pleased to see her taking an interest.