The nice spell of dry weather provided excellent conditions for the work on the lower Girvan Dykes weir. The concrete works is now finished and the weir was opened today. The river was -1″ on the gauge today, about as low as it normally gets, but there was still a good depth of water down the lower fish pass.
Most of the flow at the lower weir was going down the fish pass. The lower weir was quite well constructed in comparison to the upper weir. The lower weir dates from around 1890 when it was built to allow the fish to run over the upper weir. The face of the lower weir is made from red sandstone blocks with granite sets in the upstream face.