After checking the smolt trap at Loch Doon this morning and only finding a single brown trout and about 20 toads, we decided to lift it and try again next week. Of course there’s a risk that the smolts have already passed by as we found quite a few when electrofishing the burn near the loch a couple of weeks ago but they were all pre smolts and still had a fair amount of physiological changes to go through before becoming smolts as we know it. We will try again after the weekend or as soon as air and water temperatures rise as this may trigger migration. We just don’t have the resources to set the trap daily from now until the end of May so are making decisions based on judgement so may therefore get it wrong. But at least we are trying…
- Ayrshire Grown – an ARIA funded project November 14, 2023
- Annual General Meeting 26th October 2023. October 17, 2023
- Green Engineering on the Water of Girvan – Nature Restoration Fund October 11, 2023
- Notice of Girvan Board Meeting 25th October 2023 October 11, 2023
- NEPS Completed! September 12, 2023
- Trust replaces their old van July 26, 2023
River Map Prints
We have three fine art map prints available to buy.
Every small donation helps! Payment by credit/debit card is quick and easy.